Summer water-safety tips: rivers and lakes
Are you taking your family to visit a river or lake this holiday season? Lucky you!
Before you head off, make sure you check out our top five water-safety tips when having fun around rivers and lakes.
- Check the water before letting your kids play. Enter the water slowly and feet first. Use a stick to check for submerged objects.
- Inform your kids of the safest entry point given the direction of the current. Ensure your kids feel comfortable swimming if the current is strong.
- Ensure young children wear a lifejacket at all times.
- An adult must be on-watch or better yet, in the water with children at all times.
- Tell your children to be aware of watercraft nearby.
Along with the water-safety tips above, it’s important that kids are armed with the core skills they need to play safely around all waterways. Get in touch with the team at your local JUMP! swim school who will enrol your kids in the right swimming lesson for them.