Summer water-safety tips: public and private pools
Splashing around in a swimming pool is one of the most fun activities kids can do this summer!
While summer is the season of fun water-play, it’s also the time of year when we need to take extra measures to ensure everyone is water-safe. That’s why we’ve put together a list of our top tips for keeping your family safe when spending time at the pool:
- Always ensure an adult is actively supervising kids. Consider a “water watcher badge” for this person to wear while he or she is responsible for the safety of swimmers.
- Make sure backyard pools are secure with adequate fencing. Never leave the gate open.
- Ensure kids know they must never run around the pool. They should always walk, to minimise the risk of falls. Kids should also be aware that they must never engage in rough play around the pool. This includes dunking or pushing a friend in.
- After your kids finish playing in the pool, put all pool toys away. Children can fall in when reaching for toys left in the pool.
- Use the time in the pool to practise the skills learnt at swimming lessons. If your kids are not enrolled in swimming lessons, get in touch with the team at your local JUMP! Swim School. We’re passionate about arming kids with the skills and confidence they need to enjoy a fun Aussie childhood in and around water.
Now your family is all set for a fun day at the pool!